WittyKnits

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

On perfectionism and living with mistakes too long

OK...I think I may have done something stupid, and I need some advice.

I am working on Sitcom Chic from knitty in Orangeade. A couple of nights ago, I got to a point in one ball (I have multiple dyelots since the yarn was on clearance, so I'm working from two at once) where the yarn was very stiff and weirdly twisty. Like it was spun too tightly, or that it was coated in something. I decided, since I'd been reading about spinning earlier, that this must be something that would be ok if it were washed.

I really don't know why I convinced myself of that. And now that I'm knitting on, I can't stand the way it looks.

Do you think washing will help? Duplicate stitching? Or should I just suck it up and pull out a whole 14 rows or so to fix this?



I wasn't concerned about it, but I'd forgotten that the sweater is one piece to the armpits. So when I thought this weird row was on the back, I was fine, but since it's on the front, it's bugging me more.

I seem to be going on a frogging streak lately. Maybe I've become a perfectionist. I partially ripped out the first afghan square at least a dozen times, and I ripped and re-knit an experimental scarf a couple of times this weekend. What's wrong with me????

For those who aren't my sister, a link to the first afghan square.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm I see what you mean about "spun wierd and tight" now. Was curious when I saw the post about it in the other journal. My suggestion would be to spritz it good with a spray bottle, agitate it a bit and see if there is any difference. If there is, continue knitting with the knowlege the washer will fix it later, if not, you can frog with the knowlege you tried all you could do :o)

8:55 PM  
Blogger wittyknits said...

I may try that. I also got the brilliant idea earlier that I could just keep going and sew down some decorative trim over it, if I can ensure it will be at waist level, which I think it is. I'll do anything to avoid frogging sometimes!!!

9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home