WittyKnits

Monday, August 01, 2005

I totally forgot to note my odd knitting thing of last week. I walk down to the mall downtown quite often during my lunch hour, as it's about 2 blocks from where I work. And since there's virtually nothing there except for food places now, it's good to go grab a bite and then sit down and do some knitting.

So Friday, I ate my lunch, then camped out in the ampitheatre where they show soaps on a big screen TV (this mall gets odder and odder by the week) with the sock I'm currently working on. I was halfway through my first row when I looked up and saw a guy knitting a lime green scarf almost directly across the ampitheatre from me. He had one of those neon messenger bag/briefcase thing that he was pulling yarn from. I debated for quite some time as to whether I should go across and say hello, or if that would be perceived as odd behavior.

I think it's odd that I debated twice as long because he was a guy. I figured he probably has to put up with such crap being a guy who knits, let alone randomly in public, that I didn't want to put him off by being the random stranger who seeks him out in the mall. He ended up leaving before I did, so it became moot anyway. But still.

Perhaps I'll see him there again. Maybe I should start a downtown knitters lunch?? Not that I don't have enough on my plate right now.

2 Comments:

Blogger Little Knittin' Kitten said...

I don't think he would've found it that wierd. Maybe it's suspect in the states to randomly approach strangers who are clearly indulging in the same hobby as you are, but here in Canada it's perfectly acceptable. If you weren't a knitter and you were commenting on him knitting, then it might have bothered him, but I think introducing yourself to him knitter-to-knitter would have been simply a show of comradery. Who knows, maybe he's looking for a downtown knit lunch group! : )

9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Start the downtown knitters' lunch. I'd come, and then there'd at least be two of us :)

Amy B.

11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home