WittyKnits

Sunday, July 31, 2005

Quickie FO

Today I sat down to try to use some of the yarns I got last weekend at the sale at Fine Points in Cleveland to create a scarf for the art show at work in September. I have a couple of ideas, so I started with the simplest first: a stockinette loop scarf a la that uber-trendy thing Mary Kate Olsen has been seen in. So I cast on 200 stitches on a size 13 circ and got to work, randomly changing yarns when the mood struck me (every 1-2 rows).

Here are the results:



and a closeup, though the colors are more accurate in the first version:



The yarns are:

Colinette Prism, Maggi's (loopy mohair), Debbie Bliss Soho, Southwest Trading Sophia, Online Linie, Colinette Giotto, Noro Lotus, Noro Kureyon and Rowan Chenille.

Since we're allowed to put prices on things at this show, I plan to do so with this, with the idea that if it doesn't sell, I'm thrilled to hang onto it. One of the other ones, I might be a little more upset to part with, if it works out as well as I expect it to (I may not even put that one on the market, but would offer commissions in a different color scheme instead.) It would involve the rest of the Colinette Giotto and Prism, and Noro Lotus, along with the Noro Sarubia and Alchemy Roots and Leaves that I picked up. It's going to have a slip stitch/fair-isle combo that will hopefully make the transitions between yarns very gradual.

I think though, that to turn a profit on the loop scarf, I'd have to charge between $60 and $80. I probably used about $20 worth of yarn (though I didn't pay that much for them most likely--there's a lot of leftovers and odd balls in there) and knitted for around 4 hours.

Definitely goes to show that knitting for profit isn't the way to go to make a living--especially paying retail for supplies.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That scarf is gorgeous. So Cool! I know that I'd buy it. You come up with really neat designs.

2:31 AM  
Blogger Kitty Kitty said...

So how long did it end up being if you don't mind me asking????

10:46 AM  
Blogger wittyknits said...

I think about 6 feet in circumference. If I put it around my neck and didn't wrap it, it came to my knees!

10:48 AM  
Blogger Kitty Kitty said...

Cool, Thanks... I couldn't figure out how long it actually was since it was wrapped. I really like it.

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home