WittyKnits

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Carlotta in German still is Carlotta

OK, so every so often I go searching for blogs mentioning Carlotta from Rowan 36 (look, right there's another hit!) and since there is apparently an Anne Rice book with characters named Carlotta and Rowan, I get a lot of hits concerning that, and a lot of British and/or Italian genealogy links, but not so much on the knitting front, especially on the knitting of this sweater.

So imaging my surprise when I found a knitting blog that mentioned it today. One problem.

It's auf Deutsch. Now, I took about 4 years of German, but it's been several years, so my general ability in speaking/reading the language tends to run towards the "I'm sick/tired/hungry." sorts of phrases.

So I put the text of this entry through Babelfish and it pretty much translated the part of it that I could read anyway (that the knitter in question is about to start the project). I think she says she's looking for other knitters on the web who would like to knit it, but I'm not entirely sure (there are a couple of words that the online translator just can't deal with.) I'd like to email her, and I can muddle through in German (looks like she can read English too according to her blog list) but I want to make sure I'm not missing what she's saying.

So I'm off in search of someone more fluent than I now.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Amy,
I love that knitting is so international. I hope that you are able to connect and perhaps knit along with your German friend!

3:31 PM  
Blogger erica said...

Hi. I found your site while searching for the Loopy Yarns store in Chicago. Very cute site and I loved reading about Carlotta and Rowan. I haven't read the Anne Rice book but I can see how it would be possible.

I'll definitely add you to my reading list.

8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home