WittyKnits

Friday, June 10, 2005

My progress so far on my Ribbon X-back top:



That's 3 balls of Rowan Cotton Tape. It's been so very long since I've worked with needles larger than an 8. This is on 11s, and it is speeding along quite well. I knitted a whole ball of yarn tonight while watching "Some Like it Hot" at the Ohio Theatre.

Other tidbits and yarn pr0n:

I knitted this swatch up to show someone in another knitting community how this yarn worked out:



That's a Suss cotton yarn that I got for a scandalously low price in clearanced poncho kits. I bought two of the kits, so I have loads of it. I was originally thinking of doing a tank and a shrug out of this. I'm thinking however, after seeing My Life in Stitches' version of the fiery bolero, which is the shrug I was considering, that a solid color might be best for that pattern. So now I'm back to thinking that perhaps a dress might be a better choice for the cotton. Or a skirt maybe. Will keep looking.

Other recent stash enhancement included the following:

I swapped my leftover cotton ease from sitcom chic for 4 balls of Patons Grace in Black. This will go with the ridiculous quantity of the same yarn in spring green that I already own. Not sure for what. I'm just glad to be rid of the Cotton Ease. I just can't quite join in the mass mourning for that yarn that's hit the knitblog world. I mean, I mourn it as pretty much the sole cotton blend yarn available at chain craft stores, but I did not enjoy working with it at all. Way too splitty for my tastes. and surprising, given that I like Wool Ease more than most people seem to.

My major splurge purchase was some Silk Garden for a cardigan for me:



That's a good blend of greens, blues and greys. It's not the colorway I'd originally lusted after toward the end of last year, but I think it will make a good fall sweater nonetheless. I'm considering this pattern, because I do really like the shaping, but I want to branch out from raglans a bit. I'm thinking I may design something myself. I really think I want a more boxy front and neckline to use a simple shape to play up the pretty yarn. If I could figure out how to knit it on the bias and create diagonal stripes, that would be even better.

And the last purchase, 6 balls of Jo Sharp Silkroad DK Tweed:



These are ultimately going to land in a sort of Kaffe Fassett-esque afghan that I want to make for myself. I've been charting out a lot of different ideas in my head, but haven't settled on a motif yet. And frankly, given the amount of yarn I'm going to need, I am content to just continue to amass colors for the next few years. That said, I'm going to be doing some destashing soon in order to try to get some tweed and heather yarns to go with those, so keep your eyes here if you're up for trading.

I'll have some reports on the TNNA NeedleArts Market shortly too. I'm working a booth tomorrow, and stopped by after work this evening just to grab my badge. The exhibitor hall was closing as I got there, but I did get to see some of the stuff in the new products section, and fondle many many luscious yarns. I'm sure I'll have many stories after the weekend. I'm excited!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home