WittyKnits

Sunday, January 29, 2006

Not the face of a happy camper

This circular Skacel sweater is doing nothing if not teaching me about the engineering of sweaters.

Last week, I finished up the knitting and sewed it up. I knew the sleeves were too long, but I was kind of ok with that. Until I tried it on right after I picked up for the neck. And found that the sleeves fell 7 inches below my hands. That's beyond my *hands* not my wrists. I have pretty big hands.

So yesterday, at our Stitch n' Bitch meeting, I ended up enlisting the help of everyone else there, and we re-engineered the top of the sweater. I tore out the sleeves, and ripped back the shoulder decreases, then reattached them and picked up. So now I'm doing the raglan decreases on the body, and have attached the sleeves in a somewhat different manner.



So that's where it is now. I fear I've picked up way too many stitches along the top, because I've been decreasing forever now, and the top opening is still nowhere near neck sized. So this may work out to be a cowl neck, rather than a cute little roll neck.

I have since figured out that the problem was not necessarily that the sleeve was too long, but that I sewed it in improperly. Only thing is, I did that because the pattern said to sew the sleeves in at the arrow on the diagram, and my diagram had no arrow, so I was guessing blindly, so I'm not surprised I was that far off.

But, there was good knitting news today too. I can't share it yet, but I've made one of my New Year's resolutions. Celebrations will commence soon, along with lots of work. Yay!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home