WittyKnits

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Don't Mess With Knitters!

I've not mentioned this yet here, but suffice to say, as the listmama for the Downtown Columbus Stitch n' Bitch group, this whole Sew Fast Sew Easy trademark debacle peeves me, to say the least.

Now, don't get me wrong. I am a stickler for trademark and copyright issues. I know what it's like to have my stuff stolen. I had a poem published in a wine magazine a few years ago and later found out there was a restaraunt in Connecticut reprinting it on the inside of their wine menus. Didn't make me too happy to be ripped off like that.

But I don't think that SFSE has a leg to stand on when it comes to policing the use of the phrase "Stitch n' Bitch" when they have trademarked the phrase "Stitch & Bitch Cafe." Not the same thing there.

But I am not a lawyer, so I will leave the pontification on such things to those who do know more. In the meantime though, I'll direct you to the newly launched boycott site, which is already serving as a clearinghouse of legitimate information and has links to fundraising, etc. So fight the rumors and go give them a little looksee:



Also, if you're interested in reading more, The Girl From Auntie breaks the whole situation down quite well.

4 Comments:

Blogger jenifleur said...

I am especially incensed that they have chosen to harass fellow crafters who are using a phrase which they have NOT trademarked on non profit yahoo sites. Nobody is attempting to divert business from them (and their business seems to be conducted under the SF/SE name, whereas Stitch & Bitch Cafe is a guestbook.) and nobody is trying to make money off something they invented. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I hope they go bankrupt.

6:51 PM  
Blogger Laughingrat said...

Speaking of which, have you trademarked the Witty Knits name? The thought occurred to me when I saw your sidebar, is all.

7:24 PM  
Blogger wittyknits said...

Dirtgirl--You aren't the first one I've heard that from. Seems they have an .... odd business model?

Jenifleur -- Precisely!

'Rat -- not yet. Am working on it this year likely. There is an expired trademark from the 70s with a really freaky 70s logo in the US trademark database.

Sheila-- That third option actually is going on right now. If you check out the trademark database, Deb Stoller has filed a claim that SFSE's trademark should be null and void for just that reason. I kind of wish I'd gone to law school myself--I find this fascinating!

1:19 AM  
Blogger Pinkwool said...

This whole issue seems a lil crazy to me. I have read a few items on the topic and still think these SFSE people don't have a leg to stand on. I know that the Yahoo group that I belong to also got the Yahoo notice of infringement. We have no idea why. I am interested to see how it all washes out. I'm with Jenifleur on this one, I hope they go bankrupt!

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home